For this assignment, you are to research the Internet and select a fraud that was reported in the last 2 years. Refer to “Writing Case Studies” to help you prepare your response for the case study.
Design an investigation (1,500-1,750 words) based on the information reported and provide the following:
- Brief introduction including the facts of the case. The background of the case should comprise a small portion of your overall assignment.
- Discuss the types of evidence (documentary, etc.) you would look for in this type of case. This discussion should include how an audit may or may not be helpful in locating fraud and what type of evidence may have been found during an audit that signaled fraud may be occurring.
- Identify how, as a certified public accountant, you may locate fraud during an attest engagement or during the preparation or review of financial reports.
- Discuss the methods you would use to catalog and maintain the evidence including the concept of having a chain of custody of evidence.
- Prepare a conclusion that includes how you would organize and present the evidence when the case is completed as a forensic accountant.
- What tax laws could your case be trying to circumvent?
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competency:
4.4: Apply that knowledge in performing audit, attest, financial reporting, tax preparation, and other professional responsibilities as certified public accountants.