Digestive System (2nd Ed., Rev.) (Clip)
User: phoenixfilmandvideo – Added: 6/25/08
- Chapter 3 Chapter 3 – Alternative Formats
- Chapter 3 Addendum – Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020 Chapter 3 Addendum – Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020 – Alternative Formats
- Chapter 4 Lecture Chapter 4 Lecture – Alternative Formats
Food packages are the most frequently referenced nutrition tool for consumers. This discussion will help you to better understand nutrition labels. Your first post should be a minimum of 100 words and address the following points:
1) Answer this question: How confident are you in interpreting food labels? Does knowledge of the nutrient content in foods influence your purchases or meal planning?
2) Choose a food package from your cabinets. Do not choose a beverage or candy. Using the information you learned in Chapter 3 (see pages 81 – 82 and Tables 3.8 & 3.9), review your entire product package, which includes the ingredient list, the nutrient facts panel, and other nutrient and health claims ? Discuss one thing you learned in detail. Do not simply list nutrition facts. Do not focus on marketing terms such as “Extra Crunchy”. Focus on a health and nutrition claims that are defined by law (e.g. “May Reduce the risk of heart disease”).
(use a vegetable label)