- Week 1 DiscussionDiscussion Topic Due October 28 at 11:59 PMDiscussion Assignment
The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by October 28, 2021.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Complete your participation for this assignment by the end of the week.
Weapons of Mass Destruction and Emergency Management
The field of emergency management undergoes constant change as new threats emerge.
Consequentially, a healthcare professional may face various disaster scenarios and will need to learn about the necessary tools to prepare and deal with such disaster scenarios. On the basis of what you learned in this week’s readings and in regard to the above statement, answer the following questions:
- What is the biggest threat in the healthcare industry? Why? Provide a fact-based rationale for your choice.
- Does the healthcare industry face different threats now than they it did twenty years ago? What are the new threats?
- How would you prepare for the new threat?
- How could a healthcare facility prepare itself in the event terrorists began to focus on soft targets such as sporting events, shopping malls, or healthcare facilities?
- Let’s read the following statement.
Several agencies have suggested specific guidelines for preparing for a bioterrorist attack. In their opinion, there are several areas healthcare facilities need to focus on when preparing for a bioterrorist attack. These areas include preparedness and prevention, detection and surveillance, diagnosis and characterization of biological and chemical agents, and response and communication. Communication is an integral part of a successful response to a disaster.
Answer the following questions in regard to the above recommendations by various agencies:
- What is the effect of communication on collaboration with other agencies or organizations dealing with a disaster situation?
- Why did it take 9/11 for top law enforcement agencies of the United States to begin sharing information? How important is this sharing of information to fight against terror?
- What are the guidelines for establishing effective lines of communication in a disaster scenario?